Saturday 26 July 2014

24. Feel What's Real


I’ve been going through a stage for some time now where I feel very calm. Overly calm in fact, almost feeling nothing at all at times, but not in a bad way. Not in the way depression robs you of your feelings and leaves you empty. It’s more like I’m happy inside because there’s nothing bothering me, no stress in my life, I’m not worried about any big decisions. This is odd because I do have all of those things to think about but I’m loving the peace this state brings and therefore I don’t want to question it too much.

I confided to my counsellor that despite wiping out all the stresses and strains I usually experience, this state has also robbed me of the feelings I have for my husband and I’ve been doubting whether I should be with him. Since she’s gone through our ups and downs for the last 2 years along with us she reminded me that when my hubby and I are together and working well, we’re VERY good together. I agreed. She then said that it’s difficult to tell what feelings are real when you go through ups and downs in mood on such a frequent basis. I agreed… then burst into tears. Don’t worry, I do that a lot.

She talked me through some of the different moods I end up experiencing thanks to bipolar. There’s this one, where I feel very little but am in an ok state and relatively happy. There’s the one where someone else takes over and I’m not in control, that one I don’t like. There’s the well of depression, which I like even less. There’s the edge of mania where Janice sits, beckoning me to join her. And there’s the actual hypomania. I described that to her in the form of a pizza, ie, if you order a pepperoni pizza from your favourite pizza parlour you’ll get the same thing every time it comes. You order a box of mania and you’re likely to get a new set of gremlins bursting out of it every time. I think she got the idea.

Then she asked me what I thought was really causing me to feel this way about my husband and as is the way when you start talking about something you’re not even conscious of, a lot of stuff came out which surprised me. The upshot was that I was protecting myself.

We’ve been through a lot in the last few years since my diagnosis. I haven’t always felt able to be totally open and honest with him about everything that’s going on with me. Sometimes that’s because I’m protecting myself and other times it’s because I need to protect him. And most of us can say that I expect. Honestly ISN’T always the best policy in my world. If I went around telling everyone I do contract work for that I have bipolar and would really love it if I could get one of my hallucinations to clock in every day when I fancy a day off, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be invited back.

But equally, to not be able to talk about these things makes them seem shameful. As if the disorder we carry around with us and have to deal with every day is ours alone to live with. And even for someone like me, with a loving husband, I still live with it and deal with it, on my own for the most part.

So what am I protecting myself from? Rejection? Pain? Hurt feelings? Someone who I can never expect to fully understand what I deal with every day? I’m pushing him away so that when the day comes that he decides he’s had enough and he can’t take any more bipolar surprises, I won’t have committed my entire being to him. I can walk away knowing that I pulled back before he could and therefore protected myself. And in the meantime I’ll live in a half fulfilling relationship, with a man I only allow myself to get close to when the mood takes me. And I see the flaw in my plan, I really do. But I never said I was good at all this emotional stuff.

My counsellor advised me that this state I’m in now is not one in which I should be making big decisions like filing for divorce or moving to New York to start a new life. She says that my feelings are lying to me. Clouding what’s real. Like depression clouds emotion and only allows the worst through, this state of calmness coupled with my underlying fears about my condition are causing me to question my feelings for my husband.

This is where logic needs to come in. Large decisions require logic and a bit more logic. Because any decision I make now I might regret later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment