Saturday 12 April 2014

9. Black Holes

I started this blog with some trepidation, but I must admit it has helped me to focus on my condition in a way that I haven’t ever done before. However, in focussing on it more keenly I seem to have more and more questions about the condition.

I’d never read anything about Type 2 that relates to hallucinations or voices but the trusty old internet (surely it’s never wrong?) says that these are symptoms of Type 1, the more serious condition. I very much doubt I have Type 1 just because I have seen how hard it is for people to deal with and my hypomanic episodes don’t even vaguely resemble a manic episode in severity. So what’s going on? Could I have more than one condition? Wouldn’t that be fun! Most people collect spoons or Barbie’s but no, not me. I’ve started collecting psychotic disorders. So it’s on my ‘To Do’ list to speak to my psychiatrist and find out once and for all what’s going on.

Since writing this blog I’ve found a site that states hallucinations can occur in type 2 sufferers and that they will only appear in line with an episode of depression or mania, not during ‘remission’ which seems to match my symptoms. Phew. I’d hate to be considered weird or anything.

The last time I went I told him about the few episodes I’ve had (before I was diagnosed mostly) in which I was obviously experiencing a hypomanic episode from what my friends tell me. I was chatty and talking at 100 mph as well as telling jokes and making everyone laugh. But ask me when this was or who I was with and I couldn’t tell you. On three occasions I’ve been told by friends that I was doing or saying something and I don’t remember being in that time or place. After years of carrying this around I told my psychiatrist who reliably informed me that this is not normal. I’m not sure why I needed a psychiatrist to tell me this! I never really got an answer on that. Saying that, this is the same psychiatrist who once told me that I seem to have a heightened awareness of my condition. My condition is in my head, I couldn’t be more aware of it if I stepped in it.

My problem with having periods in my life in which I can’t recall a thing is not knowing for sure how many periods like this I’ve actually had and that’s when bipolar can become quite a scary condition.

So then I wanted to know whether bipolar is one of those things that with proper medication and a banana a day, would eventually go away. And it would appear I’m living in cloud cuckoo land if I believe that. There are periods in between hypomanic and depressive episodes where normality reigns. Some call these ‘periods of remission’. But I’ve also discovered that there are aspects of bipolar which can exist between episodes. I believe I suffer these as I’m rarely comfortable that I’m ever experiencing anything truly ‘normal’.

I find it equally odd that at times when I’m going through a hypomanic episode, I don’t know anything is wrong until I come out of it. Looking back is the only way I can tell that things haven’t been quite right, which makes it difficult to fill in a mood diary when you feel perfectly ok. Funnily enough it’s usually after these happy, more wired episodes that I feel I’m not sure I can carry on like this. It makes sense if you think about it. If you had the power to do anything you wanted, the conviction that you were capable of achieving those things and the belief that things could only get better for you for weeks and then you woke up one day to find that all of those things had been taken away from you, you might feel that you don’t want to keep going through that cycle of feelings either. It’s a tough fall to break and I quite often feel very battered by the landing.

Knowing why things are happening doesn’t make them any easier, but it does remind you that it won’t last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment